Guidelines and Policies
Age/Grade for SY2019-2020
School year starts from late August to mid June. Nishimachi offers grades from Kindergarten (5 years old) to Grade 9, and our birthday cut-off is August 31st. We consider the grade levels that applicants completed, however, applicants for Kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31st of the year of enrollment. Applicants for Grade 1 must be 6 years old by August 31st of the year of enrollment. Please note that we do not make exceptions to the age eligibility for these grades.
**For students with Japanese nationality, please be aware of the expectation of Compulsory Education for students in Japan.
- Applicants for Grades 1-9 must have grade-level proficiency in English (reading, writing, speaking and comprehension) and Mathematics.
- English is our language of instruction, but students at Nishimachi must also study Japanese everyday, either as a first or additional language. Japanese classes are structured according to students' Japanese language proficiency as determined by Nishimachi. Prior attendance at a Japanese school does not guarantee placement in a Japanese first language class at Nishimachi.
- Selected Kindergarten applicants will be screened in-person at Nishimachi.
- Grades 1-9 applicants may be invited to be screened to assess and determine their readiness for Nishimachi’s program prior to an admissions decision.
- Gr. 1 & 2 applicants are usually screened in-person.
- Screenings and interviews for selected applicants may be scheduled from February at the earliest.
- Applications are not prioritized by the date on which they are received. After the application documents are reviewed by the Admissions Committee, the admissions decisions are usually made once within few weeks for mid-year enrollments.
- Please note that the admissions procedures provide a professional assessment which determines student readiness for Nishimachi. Applicants, including Nishimachi community members, are not automatically accepted. We expect that all applicants and community members respect our final decision.