FAQ - Admissions
- What can I do to prepare my child for the Kindergarten screening?
- What is the schedule for Kindergarten application?
- What is the schedule for Gr. 1-9 application?
- Will my child be screened by only one teacher?
- How do you select applicants for acceptance?
- What do you mean by ‘readiness for Nishimachi’?
- Do community members have priority for entrance to the school?
- When will I get notified of the admissions result?
- Do you give feedback of screening results?
- Late applicants
- Enrollment/Class size
- Matsukata House
- Does Nishimachi offer overnight school trips?
- What do the school fees include?
- Is there a parents association at Nishimachi? Yes, Tomo no Kai (TNK)!
- Kindergarten applications for the following school year can be submitted from September 1st.
- The application deadline is October 31st to be listed for the January screening.
- Parent interviews will be scheduled in November.
- Screenings will be scheduled on the second week of January. Email invitations will be sent to you in early December.
Applicants (including Nishimachi Community members) are not automatically accepted. However, after the screening results have been determined, successful community member applicants are given preference over non-community applicants. We expect that all applicants/community members will respect our final decision.
Overseas families who missed the the January screenings for Kindergarten are welcome to submit applications after the January screenings occur, but the screening must be done in-person at Nishimachi. The Admissions Office will reply regarding possible opportunities for future screenings and parental interviews.
Grade 4~8 go to Kazuno in Gunma Prefecture for overnight field trips and participate in activities with our sister schools in Kurohone. Grade 9 students have a graduation trip to Kyoto/Nara/Hiroshima as part of the Japanese Social Studies program that is offered in addition to general social studies taught in English. Students in grades 4-9 go on ski trips for 3 to 5 days during the winter.