Nishimachi believes that education should promote the well-rounded development of individuals through the cultivation of their intellectual, creative, personal, social, and physical abilities. The school is committed to educating both Japanese and foreign students to be international and independent thinkers. We believe that learning a second language provides the opportunity to grow beyond a single culture. We believe that classroom and co-curricular activities should foster sensitivity to, and respect for, individual talents as well as differences. We believe that every student must learn to function both as an individual and as part of a group. Our ultimate goal is that every Nishimachi student learn to live harmoniously in, and contribute to, world society.
Graduate Statement 2030
KNOWING, CARING, TAKING ACTION
Nishimachi graduates will be leaders. They will mobilize and motivate others through strong collaboration and communication. They will be digitally advanced. They will be proactive, and adopt multiple perspectives to think flexibly and resourcefully. Nishimachi graduates will be ethical, forward thinking, and reflective. They will be accountable for the decisions they make. Nishimachi graduates will understand cultures, value difference and show compassion, and have a service orientation. They will think globally, and take action locally to safeguard the future of the planet. Nishimachi’s mission is to cultivate unique, reflective graduates who:
- Inquire, and think innovatively and critically to maximize their learning.
- Value the significance of language and culture and are advocates for diversity.
- Embrace opportunities to display leadership by taking initiative and bringing out the best in others and themselves.
- Remain positive, humble and ethical when making decisions.
- Show confidence and determination to move forward when facing challenges.
- Actively contribute to and transform existing beliefs to ensure the sustainability of the planet.
Nishimachi graduates know, care, and take action to bring value to others and make a genuine difference to the world.
Student Learning Expectations (SLEs)
A Nishimachi education is about much more than academic programs or subject offerings. What makes Nishimachi special is community and our culture of respect, understanding of diversity, focus on active learning, trust, and communication, and strong commitment to language learning, in both English and Japanese. We aim to develop in every student an awareness of, and appreciation for, all cultures. Six school-wide student learning expectations (SLEs) are at the center of our daily work: at Nishimachi students learn to be good communicators, collaborators, thinkers, responsible learners, developers of quality work, and global ambassadors.
- Communicates interactively in a variety of forms in both Japanese and English
- Shares beliefs and ideas openly, without cultural, social, or linguistic boundaries
- Reasons logically and creatively
- Gathers, selects, interprets, evaluates, and reflects on information
- Solves problems, makes decisions, and draws conclusions with an awareness of the implications
- Shows initiative, is self-directed, evaluates progress, and accepts constructive criticism
- Values every life situation as a learning experience
- Recognizes and respects individual differences and similarities
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsibility through active involvement in support of group needs and goals
- Fulfills a variety of roles including delegating, coordinating, and synthesizing tasks and products
- Communicates interactively, displaying empathy and consideration for differing ideas
- Chooses the appropriate resources when responding to a challenge
- Creates a product that achieves its purpose and reflects quality craftsmanship
- Demonstrates responsible participation, cultural awareness, compassion, and respect
- Makes connections through multilingual and multicultural experiences, and functions as an open-minded community contributor
- Strives to be mindful of ethics and respectful of the natural environment
- Develops a personal sense of direction