School Life

Nishimachi is committed to a diverse student body. At each grade level, we try to achieve a balance between boys and girls, between native speakers of English and speakers of Japanese, and among nationalities. The ultimate goal of the school is to assist each student in developing self-discipline and accepting responsibility for his or her actions, with the help of parents and teachers.

Fast Facts

35

Nationalities

470

students

50%

Hold Dual/multiple Passports

100%

Graduates Complete Higher Education

Nishimachi students:

Value and personify the international spirit of the school.
Take responsibility for their actions.
Are aware of the environment, make an effort to learn more about it, and are willing to contribute to its preservation and enhancement.
Set a good example for others.
Are aware of and obey school rules.
Organize their time and resources efficiently.
Value and respect others.
Are willing to cooperate with others.
Set and work to high standards personally and academically.
Always speak, dress, and behave in an appropriate manner.
Set and observe high standards of social behavior when inside and outside the school.
Care for school property.
Respect the property of others.

Daily life

What are the school's hours of instruction?

Kindergarten - 8:10 am to 2:30 pm, Grades 1 to 9 - 8:10 am to 3:30 pm

What are the main school holidays?

The school year is divided into two academic semesters beginning in late August and ending in June. The main holidays are:

  • One week October Fall break,
  • Three week Winter break (December/January)
  • One week April Spring break,
  • Eight weeks mid June to mid August Sumer vacation

What extra- curricular or after school activities does Nishimachi offer?

Nishimachi offers students a variety of extracurricular activities as opportunities for enrichment. These activities include early-morning, after-school, or weekend sports and activities and programs conducted by outside organizations as authorized by the school with or without fees. In addition to after school activities organized by the school community, a variety of courses and lessons are offered by the outside services. These courses include Hawaiian hula dance, drama, ikebana, computer club, Abacus, Japanese tea ceremony, Shuji, Girl Daisy Scouts, beginner and intermediate bands, tennis, aikido, fencing, soccer, volleyball and other programs. 

What do the students do for recess and lunch?

  • Morning Recess: Students in elementary grades have a morning snack followed by a short time on the playground.
  • Lunch: Each parent provides a daily lunch, which is eaten in classrooms and is followed by recess on the playground. (Optional paid lunch service is offered by the parent organization TNK.)
  • Afternoon recess: Elementary students have a short time on the playground.

What is the participation rate in extra-curricular or after school activities?

This varies from year to year. Currently this is 40% in elementary school and 75% in the middle school.

What is the dress code for students?

The dress code is designed to respect the students need to express their identities as well as to uphold the school's requirement that a student's appearance be neat, clean and socially appropriate.

AFTER NISHIMACHI

About 30% of Nishimachi ninth grade graduates attend high school overseas, mainly boarding schools in the USA. The remaining 70% stay in Japan and progress to reputable international high schools or private Japanese schools in the Tokyo area. All Nishimachi graduates continue on to complete their higher education. (Please visit FAQ for the list of COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES, and HIGH SCHOOLS our alumni attend.)